Lifeline Assistance Program

Lifeline support is designed by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to promote phone usage by reducing the local monthly residential telephone bills of low-income consumers.

Blackfoot Telephone Cooperative, Inc. participates in the Federal Lifeline Assistance program. This program offers telephone discounts to qualified low-income consumers on their residential communications services, and is limited to one voice connection per household.

Do you live on Tribal Lands? If you live in one of the exchanges listed below you may qualify for additional discounts through the “Tribal Lands Lifeline & Link Up” programs.

  • Dixon (246)
  • Charlo (644)
  • Arlee (726)
  • St. Ignatius (745)


Eligibility Requirements

If you participate in one of the following programs you may be eligible for Lifeline discounts.

  • Income at or below 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines.
  • Medicaid
  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
  • Supplemental Security Income Benefits (SSI)
  • Federal Public Housing Assistance (Section 8)
  • Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
  • Free Meals under the National School Lunch Program
  • Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)

Additional qualifying programs on for consumers on Tribal Lands:

  • Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) General Assistance
    Tribally-administered TANF
  • Head Start (only those meeting its income-qualifying standards)
  • Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR)

Lifeline and Link Up discounts apply to one phone service at the primary place of residence. Lifeline also includes Toll Restriction, enabling a customer to restrict long distance calls.

To apply

To apply for the Federal Lifeline Program please complete the application and submit all necessary supporting documentation to verify eligibility.

Download the Lifeline Application (PDF)

Documentation supporting program eligibility is now required for all consumers. Acceptable documentation for program eligibility includes:

  • Current or prior year’s statement of benefits from a qualifying state, federal or tribal program.
  • A letter notifying the consumer of participation in a qualifying state, federal or tribal program.
  • Program participation documents, such as a SNAP or Medicaid participation card.
  • Another official document providing proof of participation in a qualifying state, federal or tribal program.
  • Acceptable income eligibility documentation include: the prior year’s state, federal or tribal tax return; minimum of three consecutive paycheck stubs; social security statement of benefits, Veteran’s Administration statement of benefits; retirement/pension statement of benefits; unemployment/workmen’s compensation statement of benefits; federal or tribal letter of participation in General Assistance; or a divorce decree, child support award, or other official document containing income information.


Our Customer Care Team